Thursday, February 8, 2007

A Poem I Enjoy


RIPRAP

Lay down these words
Before your mind like rocks.
placed solid, by hands
In choice of place, set
Before the body of the mind
in space and time:
Solidity of bark, leaf, or wall
riprap of things:
Cobble of milky way.
straying planets,
These poems, people,
lost ponies with
Dragging saddles --
and rocky sure-foot trails.
The worlds like an endless
four-dimensional
Game of Go.
ants and pebbles
In the thin loam, each rock a word
a creek-washed stone
Granite: ingrained
with torment of fire and weight
Crystal and sediment linked hot
all change, in thoughts,
As well as things.


by
Gary Snyder

I enjoy reading & writing poetry, and
literature in general, so I thought I
would comment on poetry I enjoy on
occasion. This is one of my favorites.
It is so simple and clean and concrete,
there is an almost zen lack of need to
look deeper into it. I hope you enjoy!

TomC

No comments: