Tuesday, December 11, 2007

McGeady Hat Trick Seals Win V. Falkirk

Scottish Premier League
Tuesday, November 11, 2007
Celtic Park, Glasgow

(McDonald 9 pen, McGeady 41, 68, 82)


CELTIC (4-4-2) M Brown; Caldwell, Pressley (O’Dea 78), McManus, Conroy; S Brown (Sno 85), Hartley, Donati, McGeady; McDonald, Vennegoor of Hesselink (Killen 80).
Subs: McGovern, Zurawski, Riordan, Jarosik.

FALKIRK (4-3-3) Krul; Aafjes, Milne, Barr, Holden; Thomson, Cregg (Riera 69), Arfield; Barrett (Scobbie 66), Higdon (Latapy 75), Moutinho.
Subs: Olejnik, Ross, Finnigan, Moffat.

Aiden McGeady banished any hint of the winter blues with a stunning hat-trick to bury an on-form Falkirk.

John Hughes’ men arrived at Celtic Park off the back of two good wins over Dundee United and St Mirren, determined to take advantage of a recent blip in league form that has seen Celtic draw home and away in their recent matches.

But there wasn’t a hint of nerves or uncertainty as McGeady rammed home the first hat-trick of his Celtic career while Scott McDonald dispatched his 13th league goal of the season from the penalty spot.

The first half began with Celtic displaying confidence and assertiveness in abundance, carving out a couple of early opportunities which immediately had the visitors on the back foot.

Sensing a weakness on Falkirk’s right flank, Celtic continued to probe and press their defences and got their rewards in the ninth minute as the experienced Kenny Milne dived in rashly and brought down McDonald inside the box.

The penalty was coolly dispatched by the Australian striker, who sent the keeper the wrong way, but rather than immediately push forward in search of a second, Celtic initially lowered their pace and allowed their opponents back into the match.


Good to see the bhoys return to form in a league make up match! Hopefully they can use the next few matches to put a little distance between themselves and Rangers, as well as heal up before the Champions League resumes in the new year!



No comments: