Thursday, May 3, 2007

Another Lester Update

Lester's second Triple-A rehab start -- on Wednesday night for the Pawtucket Red Sox in an International League game against the Indianapolis Indians -- was short-circuited because of a cramp in his left forearm. The 23-year-old was scheduled to throw approximately 90 pitches but wound up throwing only 63 (39 for strikes).

"The forearm tightened up a little bit in the third," Lester said. "Hopefully, it doesn't set me back. Hopefully, in five days I'll make another start and everything's fine. I don't know if [the cramp] was because of dehydration or what. But it was a little cramp in the forearm. I threw a pitch and it kind of tightened up. It was one of those freak things that happened.

"[Johnson] wanted to take me out. [He] didn't want to take any risks. Obviously, it's frustrating, but this is one of those things."

"The doctor checked it out and said it was fine ... that it was just a cramp," Lester said. "I didn't have any tests, and I don't see any reason for them. It's in the forearm. There's nothing to be worried about in the elbow.

"Before that, I felt good. But like I said, in five days I'll make another start."

The Red Sox will make a decision whether his rehab stint will end, or whether he will stay in Pawtucket for further work, on May 5.



TomC

No comments: