Friday, August 17, 2007

L&G Sour Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey


Here is review of a singular tasting experience I got to try during the Labrot & Graham Tour during the 2002 Kentucky Bourbon Festival.

Preface: At the very end of our tasting at Labrot & Graham, when some of the people were already leaving to see the bottling line and so forth, we were given the oppurtunity to taste some of the bourbon produced before the restoration of what is now the "new" L&G facility. Bourbon that was made when L&G had a continuous still. I know nothing of the history behind what we tried and was hoping people would fill it in for me afterward as I am quite curious. The bottle was a little spoiled and tasted like cork, but I think I was able to get a decent feeling for it outdside of that fact. Anyway, here it is:


Name: L&G Distillery Established 1838 Sour Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (Bottled In Bond)

Price: Not Available Any More as Far as I Know. Try Hitting up the folks at L&G for a bottle .

Bottle: (I will post a great picture of it that Koji took for me as soon as I get my vacation film developed, should be this Weds. . . ).

Color: A Nice Golden Orange.

Nose: Orange, Tobacco, & Tea Leaves.

Taste: Oaky, with Citrus notes and Rye And Fennell Spiciness

Mouthfeel: Nice and Oily and coating, Medium in the mouth, with hints of vanilla.

Finish: Medium-Long, Oaky & Spicy

Conclusions:
I figure I posted this more for posterity's sake than anything, because it is doubtful that I will ever taste this stuff again. It was good, and different than most of the bottled in Bond stuff I have tried form the modern day. I wonder if this was the "old-time bourbon taste" that Ken Weber (@ our other tour) was saying so many Older bourbon drinkers say is missing these days. . . . . Most of all I was glad to be a part of itt all and would like to thank everyone involved because without all your generousity I would NEVER even had the oppurtunity to taste and comment on something like this.


Bleeeeeeeeeeeee!

Tom (Tasting His Way Through History) C

No comments: